Stir fry shrimp with bok choy and shiitake mushrooms is one of my favorite stir fry mom often cook for us at home. It’s a quick fix. I love my stir fry sauce version better and hope someday my little foodie will give it a try.
- Prep & Cook: 30 minutes or less
- Serving: 4 – Enough to fit in my 12-inch nonstick deep pan or wok.
- 1 bag of baby bok choy
- 8 to 10 premium grade shiitake mushrooms
- 2 dozens medium-large shrimp with shell
- 2 garlic cloves or 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp black soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Mix the 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/3 cup water together. Then mix the stir fry sauce with black pepper, 1/4 tsp minced garlic, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce, 1/2 Tbsp black soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp sugar.
2. Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp. Marinate it with half of minced garlic, black pepper to taste, a pinch of salt, and one tablespoon of the cornstarch + water mixture.
Soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm/hot water until it softens up. Then squeeze and rinse the mushrooms about two times. You can leave the mushrooms whole, in halves, or thirds. Set aside.
3. Restaurants usually leave the whole baby bok choy but mom showed me to cut it like this to easily wash it since there may be dirt and bugs or caterpillars hidden between the outer leaves.
Mama says to always wash the vegetables at least three times to remove the dirt and debris.
Get ready to cook!
4. Heat up 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil on high heat and saute the shrimp until it is 3 quarter way cook. Transfer shrimp into a bowl and set aside.
5. Still on high heat, immediately toss in the shiitake mushrooms into the hot pan followed by the bok choy and stir fry sauce. Stir ingredients up quickly for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the bok choy seems almost cooked.
6. Pour in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir well.
7. Add the saute shrimp back into the pan. Stir well. Turn off stove and remove pan from heat.
Serve with steamed jasmine rice. Enjoy!