These fried quails turned out very juicy, tender, and toddler-approved! Just another successful experimental cooking success as mommy plays with her ingredients again. (Recipe documented 3/11/17.)
Prepping and Cooking time: 3+ hours
- vegetable oil – enough to cover quails
- 6 jumbo quails
- 1 shallot
- 2.5 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1/2 tsp Five Spice
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
1. Rinse and strain the quails.
2. Peel and mince the shallot.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade sauce into a little bowl.
4. Put quails into a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce into the quails to marinate it for at least 3 hours or overnight.
It’s little Grace’s first time experimenting with quails.
- Mama: “These are little birds called quails.”
- Nhi: “No, these are little chickens. Silly mommy. They are so cute!”
5. Fill deep pan or port with enough oil to cover the quails. Make sure oil temperature reaches 165F before putting the quail in to fry. Good luck to you with the frying part.