Deep Fried Quails – Chim Cut Chien
These fried quails turned out very juicy, tender, and toddler-approved! Just another successful experimental cooking success as mommy plays with her ingredients again. (Recipe documented 3/11/17.)
Prepping and Cooking time: 3+ hours
vegetable oil – enough to cover the quails
6 jumbo quails
For the marinade sauce:
2 1/2 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Mirin
1/2 teaspoon Five Spice
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
1. Rinse and strain the quails.
2. Peel and dice the shallot.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade sauce into a little bowl.
4. Put the quails into a tub and pour the sauce into the quails to marinate it for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Precious moment: It’s little chef Grace’s first time experimenting with quails.
Mama Snow: “These are little birds called quails.”
Chef Grace: “No. These are little chickens. Silly mommy. Oh they are so cute!” (giggling)
5. Fill deep pan or pot with enough oil to cover the quails. Deep fry quails until done. On my Kenmore Spectra stove, I deep fry the quails nicely on high to medium high heat. After two attempts on my Camp Chef gas grill stove, I deep fry them on low heat setting. Good luck to you with the frying part is all I would say.
Please follow and like us: