Cá nục kho khóm: Vietnamese braised mackerel in pineapple and onions is a home-style comfort food that my mom cooks at home. You won’t see this dish in Vietnamese restaurants.
- Medium size Blue mackerels
- 1 cup fresh crushed pineapple or chunky pineapple
- 2 sweet onions
- 1 cup scallions
- 2-3 shallots
- 1 can Coco Rico
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Viet Huong fish sauce or less
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Coco Caramel (optional)
1.. Prep the ingredients. I coated the mackerel with coco caramel. Then rubbed the black pepper and garlic powder on it. I mixed the water and fish sauce together in this picture.
2. Heat deep pan with oil. When oil is hot, toss in the shallots and onions and sear for two minutes on high heat. Pour in the pineapple. Cook for about 5 minutes on high heat.
3. Pour in the Coco Rico, water, and fish sauce. Cook on medium heat at light boil for about five minutes.
4. Add the mackerel into the pan. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and flip the fish over. Continue cooking with continuous light simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add scallions and continue simmering for about five minutes. Turn off heat. Serve with rice. Enjoy!