- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Inactive time: 3+ hours
- Cook time: 20 minutes
I bought this beltfish at Lotte Plaza Market in Orlando, Florida. This fried salted beltfish pictorial recipe is an inspiration from my friend, Vivian Zheng, who let me tried her family’s homemade version. I added lemongrass for flavor.
- 1 big beltfish (2.5-3lb)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 Tbsp finely minced lemongrass
- 2 Tbsp Lee Kum Kee chicken powder bouillon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp homemade chili paste
- 1 Tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Cut the beltfish into 3 to 4-inch wide pieces. Mix the marinade ingredients into a bowl.
2. Marinate the beltfish for at least three hours or overnight in the fridge. I sometimes set a side a few pieces for Ethan before adding the chili pepper paste into the marinade and fish bowl.
3. Heat up wok with about half an inch of vegetable for frying. Set up a deep plate of beaten eggs and a deep plate of potato starch. Dip each piece of beltfish into the beaten eggs and then cover with the potato starch before transferring into the hot frying wok.
5. Fry each side on medium high heat for about three to four minutes. Transfer onto plate and serve. Enjoy!