This pictorial recipe for my quick and simple stir fry luffa with shrimp is a pescatarian dish. Mom usually add chickens powder with her stir fry but I am focusing on recipes for lent season this month.
- 3-4 large long luffas
- 2 bunches chopped scallions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb large shrimp with heads on
- 2 Tbsp oil
stir fry sauce:
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Viet Huong fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water + 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1. Prep the vegetables and stir fry sauce. Peel and butterfly shrimp and rub with 1/8 tsp salt.
Note: This is my first time using the Hexclad wok so I had to seasoned it by heating it up with a bit of oil on medium low heat for two minutes.
2. Add about one tablespoon of vegetable oil and minced garlic. Sizzle garlic and add the shrimp. Sprinkle in 1/8 tsp salt. Sauté the shrimp for a minute or two and transfer out to a side.
3. While wok is hot, add in about one teaspoon of “gặch tôm” or the red stuff in the shrimps head along with about 1/4 cup water and toss in the luffas and stir fry on high heat.
4. Pour in stir fry sauce. I filled that same bowl with the equivalent amount of water and add it in. Cook for about two minutes.
5. Add in the scallion and the cornstarch mixture. Stir well for a minute. Turn off stove.
6. Pour the bowl of shrimp into the wok stir well transfer to plate and serve with rice enjoy!
Serve with steamed jasmine rice. Enjoy!
Behind the scene:
March 1, 2020 (20-months-old): It’s my little man’s first time getting to use a peeler. He finally gained my trust and has been doing pretty good following directions. He is a little man but a big cheater. He got tired peeling his luffa so he snatched his sister’s big luffa and finished up with a few last strokes and came to me to be complimented. What a cheater!
Kids are learning about yoga and here they…not sure what yoga means to the little man here. They are my two goofballs alright. Miss Grace is learning how to make a “straight” face.