Just documenting how I made banh khot (Vietnamese mini rice pancakes) for the first time. It’s so much easier than making banh xeo. The batter is very similar to banh xeo but thicker and can be made without turmeric powder.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: one bag of banh khot flour mix makes about at least 6 dozens banh khot.
Notes: I used an iron cast banh khot pan.
For the batter –
1 bag of Banh Khot flour mix (Kim Tu Thap brand)
1 14 oz can of coconut milk
3 cups water
1/2 cup chopped scallions
For the fillings, I used the leftover mung beans, small shrimps, and red onions I had from making banh xeo. But to use up the batter, you’ll need the following:
1 lb small shrimp
1 cup cooked mung mean
1/2 cup minced onion
black/white pepper to taste
salt to taste
Serve with –
Vietnamese nuoc mam
pickled white radish and carrots
green leaf lettuce
fish mint (optional)
1. Make the filling: With the leftover cooked shrimp from making banh xeo, I cut the shrimp into 3 or 4 little pieces, leaving a few whole ones for plating, minced the sliced red onion. Chop up about 2 Tbsp of scallion as small as possible. In a pan, I heat up a little oil and saute the shrimp, mung beans, onion, and scallion together with a bit of black pepper and a pinch of salt. This takes about 1 minute.
2. Mix the batter with one bag of Kim Tu Thap’s Bot Banh Khot, 1 can of coconut milk, and three cups of water. Stir in about 1/2 cup of chopped scallions.
3. Prep the vegetables and herbs which includes green/red leaf lettuce, sorrel, fresh mint, and or fish mint. Sorrel is hard to find around here so I mainly wrap the banh khot up with green/red leaf lettuce and mint leaves.
Get ready to cook! This was how I set up my batter and fillings next to the stove top along with a little bowl of oil and brush.
4. Heat the cast iron mold on high heat. Brush the pan with some oil.
5. When pan is hot, pour in the batter in quickly.
6. Quickly put the shrimp mixture toppings on.
7. Immediately lower heat to medium and cover the pan with the lid cook for about 2 minutes on MEDIUM heat.
8. Uncover pan and cook for about 1 more minute. Scoop and transfer the banh khot onto a plate and serve with nuoc mam sauce and the vegetables and herbs. Enjoy!