Zone 9B Florida: This is my on-going plant documentary for the two following camellias that I fell in love with:
1. Camellia ‘High Fragrance #3’ japonica
2. Camellia ‘Lillian Gordy’ japonica
Camellia ‘High Fragrance #3’ japonica
I purchase the High Fragrance camellia from Lukas Nursery in Oviedo, Florida for $34.99 in January 2023. This variety blooms from October to April with baby pink rose like flowers. It’s mature height is 4 to 8 feet tall. It likes part sun to shade. It’s “tough and hardy”.
I repotted the three-gallon High Fragrance into a 15-gallon plastic pot. I used a layering method for the potting. Starting from the bottom to the top layer:
- About two inches of potting mix #2
- Fruit and veggie scraps and a quart bag of frozen mackerel
- About 3 inches of potting mix #2 plus one scoop of coarse sand or all purpose sand
- Place the camellia with the root ball and soil in the center of the pot.
- Layer the spaces around the root ball with a mix of mini pine bark and fine pine mulch and a layer of potting mix #2 until I reach the top leveled with the base of the root ball.
- Mix in with half a cup of fertilizer
I try to water this potted camellia two times three times a week. The pot is located in a mostly shaded side of my house.
Note: Is this the best or proper way to pot a camellia? Heck, I don’t know. I just know they like acidic soil and I just know I always put some veggie, fruit, and fish scraps at the bottom of all my 15 gallons and up. 😂 So far, all my potted plants are happy except the pots that didn’t have food scraps buried below.
Camellia ‘Lillian Gordy’ japonica
I purchased camellia Lillian Gordy from South Seminole Farm and Nursery in Casselberry, Florida for $40 in January 2023For camellia Lillian Gordy, I planted her in my front landscape about six feet from the wall.
…to be continued with more pictures
Do you have a favorite camellia growing in your garden? What variety is it? Comment to share a picture of your camellia.