Yes! I finally mastered cooking one of my all-time favorite stir fry dish, stir fry beef with pineapple, that my mom used to cook when I was little. Hope you like this recipe. I bought some delicious super sweet golden pineapples from Freshfields Farm in Orlando the other day so I had cravings for some stir fry beef with pineapple. I used porterhouse steak cut and my 14-inch Hexclad wok in this pictorial. We harvested scallions from our edible garden for this pictorial recipe too.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4
- Note: Porterhouse steaks are cut from the rear end of the short loin and thus include more tenderloin steak, along with a large strip steak. Meat-lover me always buy the largest cut possible.
- 2 cup fresh chunky Golden Sweet pineapple
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cup chopped scallion
- 1 porterhouse steak*
- `1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp canola/vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp Chinese white cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp stir-fry sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 cup water + 2 Tbsp cornstarch
1. Gather and prep the ingredients. I sliced the porterhouse T-bone steak into 1/4 inch strips and then marinate it for about 30 minutes.
2. Mix the stir fry sauce and the corn starch mixture.
3. Heat up about 1 tablespoon of oil. Pan sear the marinated steaks to medium rare on high heat for about a minute or two. Turn heat to medium and scoop the steak out and set aside. Quickly add about 1/4 cup water into the very hot wok or else it will start to have a burning smell. (Heat adjustments will vary depending on the stove and wok you are using. I indicate my heat setting to help me remember next time I make this dish again.)
4. Add in the onions and pineapple chunks together. Turn back to high heat and stir for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the stir fry sauce. Stir for another minute and then toss in the chopped scallions. Stir for another minute on high heat. Add the water and cornstarch mixture. Stir quickly so the sauce thickens evenly. When scallion is cooked, turn off the heat. Toss the steak back into the wok. Stir.
6. Transfer the stir fry beef with pineapple into a deep dish and serve with steamed jasmine rice. Enjoy!