I bought about a dozen live female blue crabs at New Golden Sparkling Market in Orlando, Florida the other day. It was on sale for $4.99/lb. The meat were thick and heavy. I also got lucky and bought three live dungeness crabs for the first time for a good deal at $7.89 per pound there.
- Cooking time: 15 to 25 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4
- 10-12 live blue crabs
- 1 glass bottle of Heineken beer
- 1 14-oz can Coco Rico (coconut soda)
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- Badia’s Louisiana Cajun Seasoning
1. Rinse the live blue crabs with cold water for about two minutes.
2. I used a tong to transfer the crabs into my 14-inch Hexclad wok.
3. Put in the beer, Coco Rico, and bruised lemongrass stalks. (Mine were frozen from my fall’s harvest.)
4. Close the wok with lid and steam for about 15 to 25 minutes on medium high heat. Once the shells are red, it is cooked. I would just turn off the stove and let it sit for another two minutes.
5. Shake in some Louisiana Cajun Seasoning all over the cooked crabs. Mix some traditional lime juice with black pepper and salt as a dipping sauce with or without Sriracha mixed in. Enjoy!
And these are my steamed dungeness crabs… I just steamed it with water.