My little ones like Rice Krispies Treats and so I’m documenting all the different flavors I can make. This will be an on-going post. Original Rice Krispies Treats contain just three simple ingredients; melted butter, marshmallows, and Rice Krispies cereal. Links to Amazon ingredients and tools are provided at the end of this post for your convenience.
- Total Prep and Cook time: 8 minutes or less
- Servings: 24 mini muffins size
- Tools used: spatula, 2-quart pot, and a molding tray – A nonstick 24-mini muffin pan works best or any silicon mold would be fine.
- 2+ cup Rice Krispies Treats cereal (add up to 1 more cup if needed)
- 1.5 cup mini white marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Choose one of the flavoring ingredient that we have used successfully before.
- 5 small Reeses Pieces peanut butter cups (chocolate or white chocolate)
- 5 Ferrero Rocher chocolate with hazelnut
- 6 Japanese green tea Kit Kat (mini size)
- 6 regular Hershey’s chocolate Kit Kat (mini size)
- 1/2 Tbsp Japanese matcha powder (too much will make it bitter)
- 1 tsp pandan extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Quaker’s Fruit Flavored Instant Oatmeal packet (strawberry or blueberry)
- Note: So far, Hershey chocolates works well. German chocolate and Geraraldi chocolate has an ingredient that harden up the Rice Krispies treats. Candy with mint doesn’t work well with Rice Krispies either.
1. Melt 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter into 2-quart nonstick pan over medium high heat. (If you are using candy for flavoring, put it in the same time with butter. This picture was taken when I used 5 small white Reese Pieces peanut butter cups. )
2. Once butter has melted, pour in the mini marshmallows. (If you are using liquid or powder extract, this is the time to put it in with the marshmallows. This picture was taken when I use matcha green tea powder.)
3. Stir constantly until the marshmallows and flavoring ingredient has melted or blended in smoothly.
4. When the mixture has melted and blended in smoothly, quickly pour in the Rice Krispies cereal. Immediately turn off heat and remove the pot to a cooler surface. Quickly, stir or fold the cereal into the mixture until it’s all coated evenly.
5. Pour the mixture into the molding tray. I prefer using a nonstick 24-cup mini muffin tray. Quickly pressed the Rice Krispies mixture down into the molding pan to form the shape. Let the treat to cool completely before removing it out of the molding pan. Store in air-tight containers or Ziplock bags. Enjoy!