After practicing cooking quinoa several times and burning it a couple of times, I finally got the basics down and can start documenting my quinoa salad recipes. I hope you enjoy this first one I have so far. This quick and easy quinoa salad is great for last minute potluck idea.
- Cook time: About 13 – 15 minutes
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 8
Ingredients for Asian-style salad dressing per one cup of raw quinoa:
- 2 Tbsp pure sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp live olive oil
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Viet Huong fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp roasted minced garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Quinoa Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup raw quinoa + 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped scallion and cilantro
- 1/2 diced sweet onion (white)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 of English cucumber (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup diced sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, and/or red)
How I cook quinoa using a GE Spectra stove: Put one cup of raw quinoa and two cups of water in a medium pan. Set timer to 13 minutes. Cover the pot with lid and cook on medium low heat (#5 setting). Stir to fluff the quinoa and remove the pot from the hot surface. Let cool before mixing in with vegetables. You can cook the quinoa in a rice cooker as well.
1. Cook quinoa and let it cool.
2. Prep the vegetables and mix it into the quinoa.
3. Prep the salad dressing and you can mix it in with the quinoa salad in advance or when ready to serve.
Note: Store quinoa salad in the fridge for up to two days.
Now I can show of my food photography and garden. The flower in the backdrop is called pagoda flower. It grows very easy here in zone 9b. It’s beautiful but pretty annoying because baby plants keep popping up everywhere and requires maintenance.