The following pictorial recipe is made possible thanks to Rene’emarie’s Auntie Nacia’s suggestions to improve the basic recipe I found. For this recipe, only powdered sugar is used as the sweetener. I’m addicted to eating these Mexican wedding cookies and must have ate at least 30 cookies within the past week. Even my mom likes these cookies too.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Bake time: 20 minutes
- Makes about 15 golf-ball size cookies
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans and/or almonds
- Heat a cold stick of butter in microwave for 30 seconds. Then in a medium mixing bowl, mix the butter with water, vanilla extract, and almond extract together.
2. Sift 3/4 cup of powdered sugar and one cup of all-purpose flour into the mixing bowl. Fold the dough mixture evenly. Then fold in the crushed nuts.
3. The dough needs to be chilled so to speed up this process, I rolled out 15 golfball size and then chilled the cookie dough for an hour.
4. Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Place cookie dough on a nonstick cookie pan in the center of the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. If using a Cuisenart Air Fryer, line the meshed rack with parchment paper and place the center rack and use the Conventional Air Bake function to bake the cookies for 10 minutes at 300 F degrees.
5. Coat the cookies with the one-fourth cup of powdered sugar. Try shaking the powdered sugar and cookies in a zip-lock bag or just simple roll the cookies in a bowl of powdered sugar. Enjoy!