My family in Texas has been making candied pecans for Thanksgiving time the past years and I never paid attention how they make it. I can’t believe how easy it is to make this sweet treat! The following toddler-approved pictorial recipe for candied pecans is an adaptation from Ali’s recipe at https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/candied-pecans-recipe.
Prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
Bake time: 35 – 40 minutes
Notes: Need a whisk, and small and large plastic containers with tight lids for little baker.
1 bag 8 oz pecan halves
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 Tbsp grounded cinnamon
1 egg white
1. Mix the granulated sugar, light brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon together in a small plastic bowl. Close container tightly and shake vigorously.
2. Whisk the egg whites. (Baker Grace attempted to separate the yolk and egg whites for mama but it didn’t work out so well. So I had a carton of egg whites as a backup plan.)
3. Mix egg whites with pecans evenly in a large bowl.
4. In the large plastic container, put the pecans with egg whites and sugar mixture together. Close container with lid and shake well until the pecans are coated well with sugar.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lined baking tray with parchment paper and spread the sugared pecans on the tray.
6. Bake in center rack for 35-40 minutes. Flip pecans over with a wooden spoon half way baking. Transfer the parchment paper along with pecans onto a cool surface and let the pecans cool down to room temperature. The pecans will become crispier as it cools down. Enjoy or store it in a container.