Vietnamese braised or caramelized pork belly with eggs is a well-known comfort food. I finally can cook this with the meat being soft and tender and flavored just right for my whole family to enjoy.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes
- Servings: Enough to fit in a 10-inch deep saucepan.
- Cooking method: Instant Pot and traditional stove top
- 2.5 lb pork belly
- 8 to 10 eggs
- 2 cartons 11.1 fl. oz Vita Coco water
- 4 Tbsp Squid Brand fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp pure cane sugar (light yellow)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Coco caramel (optional – for coloring purpose)
I used a slab of pork belly with even thickness and with more meat than fat. This dish is great with steamed daikon or fried tofu added in the last five minutes too.
1. Boil the eggs for about 10 minutes. Then strain and put it in an iced bowl to it’s easy to peel off the shell. Rub the eggs with coco caramel.
2. Cut the slab of pork belly into 1.5 to 2-inch thickness and put the meat into the Instant Pot inner pot. Marinate meat with a little coco caramel, about 1/2 tsp salt, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, fish sauce, and minced shallots for 30 minutes.
3. Cook the pork belly in the Instant Pot. Close lid, hit High Pressure, and set to 15 minutes to cook.
4. The pork belly should be soft and tender. Transfer the meat into a bowl. Pour the liquid into a deep 10-inch saucepan. Add the eggs into the saucepan and cook on medium high heat (#7 setting) for 30 minutes. Then transfer the pork belly into the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes on medium low heat (#4 setting) or until caramelized.
Serve with steamed jasmine rice and blanched cabbage or raw cucumbers.
This dish is great with steamed daikon or fried tofu added in the last five minutes too. Enjoy!