These Vietnamese smashed banana ice cream covered with sweet creamy coconut milk and an added hint of ginger matcha latte flavor is yummy and easy for the little chefs in training to make too!
I made a batch without flavoring my coconut milk mixture and invited my girlfriend over to have lunch and try our home made ice. Eating this made her to recall pleasant memories when she was back in Vietnam. This time I flavored it since I love anything with matcha (green tea). Note: This recipe is written for mommies and little chefs in training.
10 to 12 fl oz of coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1.5 Tablespoon of sugar
*1 pouch of Goldkili Matcha Ginger Latte (3 Tbsp)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water
6 ripened Thai bananas
1.5 cup of crushed roasted peanuts
Part I: Make the creamy flavored coconut milk
1. In a little pot, pour the coconut milk, sugar, latte packet, and salt into the pot. Mix well.
2.Prep the corn starch with water mixture and set a side.
3. Heat up the coconut mixture on high heat. Stir constantly. As soon it boils, immediately remove it from the hot stove. Mix in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir until thicken to your preference.
4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let cool. My little chef keeps telling me to hurry up so she can make the ice cream so I placed the creamy coconut milk mixture in an ice bath to speed up the process.
Part II: Make the roasted crushed peanuts.
I normally have a jarful handy but ran out so I had to make a new batch. Skip to step 6 if you have this already.
5. How to Make Crushed Roasted Peanuts pictorial
Part III: Set up the table for the little chef. Peel and cut the Thai bananas in halves. Get ready to have fun making smashed banana ice cream!
6. Smash the Thai bananas with the bottom of a little plate. Plate should not be plastic nor too heavy for the little chef. I used a small Corelle plate.
7. Help little chef lay a foil sheet on the cutting board, then a layer of clear saran wrap. Little chef sprinkles crushed peanuts on the bottom layer.
8. Next, little chef spreads creamy coconut milk.
9. Then place a slice of smashed banana in the middle.
10. Little chef spreads creamy coconut and then topped with crushed peanuts on top.
11. Little chef wraps everything up with the saran wrap. (Assistance required)
12. Finally, wrap the foil around the saran wrap and place it in a ziplock freezer bag to freeze.
Serve frozen. It may be hard to take the saran wrap apart, so I just place it under running water for about 5 seconds before taking the saran wrap out. Enjoy!