These Vietnamese smashed banana ice cream covered with sweet creamy coconut milk and an added hint of ginger matcha latte flavor is yummy and easy for the little chefs in training to make too!
Note: This recipe is written for mommies and little chefs in training. I wouldn’t make these banana ice cream the way my little girl makes it if I’m making this myself. I wouldn’t use the foil but the wrapping it with foil is just an addition incorporated to have my little one get more practice with her fine motor skill.
- 6 ripened Thai bananas
- 10-12 fl oz of coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
- 1.5 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- *1 pouch of Goldkili Macha Ginger Latte (3 Tbsp)
Part I: Make the creamy flavored coconut milk
1. In a little pot, pour the coconut milk, sugar, latte packet, and salt into the pot. Mix well.
2.Prep the corn starch with water mixture and set a side.
3. Heat up the coconut mixture on high heat. Stir constantly. As soon it boils, immediately remove it from the hot stove. Mix in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir until thicken to your preference.
4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let cool. My little chef keeps telling me to hurry up so she can make the ice cream so I placed the creamy coconut milk mixture in an ice bath to speed up the process.
Part II: Make the roasted crushed peanuts.
I normally have a jarful handy but ran out so I had to make a new batch. Skip to step 6 if you have this already.
5. How to Make Crushed Roasted Peanuts pictorial
Part III: Set up the table for the little chef. Peel and cut the Thai bananas in halves. Get ready to have fun making smashed banana ice cream!
6. Smash the Thai bananas with the bottom of a little plate. Plate should not be plastic nor too heavy for the little chef. I used a small Corelle plate.
7. Help little chef lay a foil sheet on the cutting board, then a layer of clear saran wrap. Little chef sprinkles crushed peanuts on the bottom layer.
8. Next, little chef spreads creamy coconut milk.
9. Then place a slice of smashed banana in the middle.
10. Little chef spreads creamy coconut and then topped with crushed peanuts on top.
11. Little chef wraps everything up with the saran wrap. (Assistance required)
12. Finally, wrap the foil around the saran wrap and place it in a ziplock freezer bag to freeze.
Serve frozen. It may be hard to take the saran wrap apart, so I just place it under running water for about 5 seconds before taking the saran wrap out. Enjoy!