Stir-fry Squid with Basil Lemongrass
After six attempts experiencing with Mr. Squid, I finally conquered him! Mama Snow’s recipe for this stir fry squid with basil and lemongrass is delicious. The squid is soft, flavorful, and tender! Daddy is now requesting an order for this friend’s birthday potlucky party.
2 squids about 2.6 lb1 bunch or 1 cup of Thai basil leaves3 garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp minced garlic1/2 cup or the white part of one bunch of scallion1 or 2 lemongrass stalk2 Tbsp palm sugar2 Tbsp fish sauce1 Tbsp water1 Tbsp Pantai shrimp paste2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/3 cup white cooking wine
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 Thai chilies (optional)
1. Clean out the inside and take the skin off of the squids. Rinse the squid a couple of times. Soak the squid in with water and a 1/2 tsp of salt Rinse it one more time.
2. Cut the squids into strips by cutting crosswise into rings and cut the rings in halves. The strips I cut out are about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long. The eyeballs are edible as long you take out the sharp black piece in the eye. Add in 1/3 cup white cooking wine. Mix evenly and set aside in a strainer.
3. In a 3.5 cup Kitchen Aide chopper, I put in the garlic cloves, Thai basil leaves, onions, and coarsely chopped lemongrass. If you want it spicy, add in the Thai chilies at this time. I made this stir fry for my toddler as well so I couldn’t add the chilies. I have to proudly say this is my first demo recipe using herbs harvested from my herbal garden! =)
4. Blend the ingredients in the chopper for about 10-15 seconds. Then pour the content out into a small bowl.
5. Prep the stir fry sauce by mixing the following together in a bowl:
- 1 Tbsp Pantai shrimp paste
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Viet Huong fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
6. Heat up wok or 11 inch deep pan with 2 Tbsp oil.
7. Pour in the basil and lemongrass mixture. Stir and cook the herbs on high for about 1 minute.
8. Pour in the sauce. Stir and cook on high for 1 minute.
8. Add in the squid and cook on high for 2 minutes. Stirring the squids often to cook it evenly.
9. Transfer to plate and serve immediately.