My recipe creation for this stir fry Japanese udon noodles dish came out delicious and toddler-approved too!
“Daddy” said he loves this and ate a big plateful.
Cooking and prepping: 30 minutes
Serving: 6-8 people (I’m thinking of petite Asian portions now)
Note: I cooked this stir-fry noodle in my 8-quart pot instead of my deep pan.
3 bundles of Japanese Udon Noodles (about 10.5 oz)
1 lb of jumbo size shrimp
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Red bell pepper (Orange or yellow is fine)
1 bunch of Chinese spinach
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Stir Fry Sauce:
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp rice wine
1 Tbsp Kikkoman Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Viet Huong fish sauce
1/8 tsp black pepper (to preference)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1. Cook Japanese udon in boiling water for 12 minutes (1 bundle per 1 quart of water). Stir occasionally.
2. Peel and devein shrimp. Split back. Rub with pinch of salt and one teaspoon of minced garlic. Set aside in fridge.
3. Wash and chop Chinese spinach into 3-inches segments. Chef Grace got promoted with a new job and that is helping Mommy wash the greens. She washed this three times until I figured it’s her form of “play”.
4. Julienne carrots and cut the red bell pepper. It’s Chef Grace’s first time getting to help mommy peel the carrots with a peeler. She took her job too seriously and ended up not wanting to surrender her peeled carrot. I ended up using a different carrot.
5. Mix the Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp rice wine
- 1 Tbsp Kikkoman Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Viet Huong fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (to preference)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
6. Heat up wok with 2 Tbsp of oil. Pan sear the shrimp until cooked. Transfer and set a side.
7. While the pot is hot and on high heat, add in the julienne carrots and bell peppers. Cook on high for like 30 seconds.
8. Add the chopped Chinese spinach. Cook for one minute on high heat.
9. Add the Japanese Udon noodles and pour in the stir fry sauce.
10. Add the cooked shrimp back into the pot. Stir well for about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat.
11. Transfer to plate and ENJOY!