Baked Chinese eggplants with scallion oil and house sauce has always been a simple vegetarian dish that my mom used to make all the time especially during Lent season. As a meat lover, this is my favorite vegetarian dish that I love to eat with steamed jasmine rice.
Prep & Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4-6 Chinese eggplants (long skinny kind)
- 1 bunch of scallion
- 3 Tbsp of oil (olive or vegetable)
- homemade Thai chili paste (1 part Thai chili +1/3 part vinegar)
Golden Mountain Soy Sauce OR
Vietnamese sweet and sour fish sauce (nuoc mam chua ngot)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the scallion oil.
2. Place the Chinese eggplants in the center rack. Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest.
3. Cut the stems off.
4. Peel the skin off.
5. Cut it in halves or thirds.
6. Pour scallion oil over the baked eggplants.
7. Drizzle 2 or more Tablespoons of (choose 1):
European Maggi seasoning sauce,
Golden Mountain soy sauce, OR
Vietnamese homemade nuoc mam (fish sauce)
Spice it up with Huy Phong’s Siracha sauce or homemade Thai chili paste which is just 1 part Thai chilies blended with 1/3 part vinegar.
This recipe was documented on May 15, 2016.